About Safe Haven – A Ray of Hope
Board Code of Conduct
As a board, collectively and individually, we:
- Create a safe space– in which everyone is encouraged and feels able to speak.
- Positively challenge– each other, but avoid being confrontational – saying ‘no’, ‘that won’t work’.
- Instead, we ask open questions that will help us work together to explore/test an idea, or suggestion – who, what, when and how, but not why, which can come across as accusatory).
- Think, then speak– what can I say succinctly that will most help the Board?
- Feel able to ask the questions that need to be– there is no elephant in the room or, if there is, we’re all working together to get it out.
- Act strategically– by thinking externally and longer-term.
- Understand that operational delivery is the remit of the CEO – by recognising that it’s not our role to manage operations, but to ensure these are led and managed well.
- Focus on solutions– by talking about the past, only to learn from it, avoid talking about what we can’t do and, instead, focus on what we could do.
- Welcome differing viewpoints – respect each other’s right to hold a different opinion and recognise our own right to do so too.
- Don’t make assumptions– about who someone is, but rather respond based on the facts/content of what he/she said.
- All contribute– the contribution of the young, old, or those with lived experience is different to that of the professionals, but isn’t less than.
- Everyone has something to give and something to learn.
- And no one person is allowed to dominate the conversation to the exclusion of others.
- Are slow to take offence – and quick to apologise, always.
- Give permission– to everyone else to remind us when we inadvertently stray from the above.
- Accept our responsibility – for ensuring that everyone is treated fairly, with respect and kept safe from harm.
Approval and Review
|Approval By||Date||Next Review Date|
|Trustee Board||Mar 21||Mar 22|